Bachelor of Arts in Character Animation and Animated Filmmaking
The purpose of this course is to enable students to master all traditional and digital animation techniques (2D and 3D) from pre-production to post-production, using professional methods from animation film studios in France and abroad.
Pace of study
- Candidate with a Baccalaureate from the current year (2023) or the previous year (2022).
- Non European students shall be at least 18 years old for the visa process.
Applicants shoud show a regular practice of drawing with disposition to the expression of movement, volume and perspective. They should be openminded, creative and capable of imagining graphic worlds and stories. They should have a good general and artistic culture, aptitude for teamwork and a real motivation for learning animation film techniques, both 2D and 3D.
Bachelor of Arts
- 2D or 3D Animator
- Storyboarder assistant
- Background and character designer
- Commissioned film director
- €9.900 per year for European citizens
- €14.950 for non European citizens
Scholarships opportunities (through GOBELINS, Odon Vallet and/or CROUS)
Eligible for scholarship
Admission process :
- Pre-selection based on graphic file
- Oral interview
Opening of admission process: 17 November 2022
Closing of admission process : 2 March 2023
Admission interview : between 11 and 21 April 2023
- Anatomical drawing, sketches of living models, perspective, history of animation, film analysis, command of softwares
- Animation drawing : volume construction, sketching, morphology, perspective, image composition, motion analysis
- Character and background design
- Animation : acting analysis, traditional and 2D/3D digital animation
- Direction : cinematographic and dramaturgical language, storyboard, layout, editing
- Colour research and analysis of light and atmosphere
- Techniques specific to the 3D pipeline: layout, modeling, rendering
- Collaboration in sound design and discovery of the the sound production pipeline
- Special effects and compositing
- Scriptwriting, film editing, character definition and characterization, graphic and sound design research, storyboard writing
- Compliance with specifications, manufacturing methodology, production planning
- Command of the dynamics of movement, scriptwriting (filmwriting, imaging, sound), digital tools specific to animation (TV Paint, Animate, Première, Photoshop, After Effects, Maya, Storyboarder)
- Command of professional techniques throughout the production pipeline in animation
- Fluent English adapted to the professional environment
- An important place is given to the international dimension of the animation industry
- Students benefit from tailored follow-up
- Equipements: HD and 3D equipped movie theatre, professional sound studio, multi-layer animation stands. Each student has a dedicated workstation. Led animation tables, Cintiqs
- GOBELINS is a member of RECA (the French Animation School Network) and of IPAX (the US network of schools recognized by Sony Pictures)
- High-level faculty members, professional well established studios
- International mindset required to work on multicultural projects and in multicultural contexts (courses and conferences in French and in English)
- Participation in a speed-recruiting event organized during the Annecy festival in June for last year of the course (more than 50 companies usually attend)
GOBELINS has become the epicenter for artists who are interested in animation. You will share a lively and unforgettable experience with students from all different backgrounds but all driven by the same passion. What makes this programme so special is its international dimension and also its context: you will be studying in the heart of Paris, in the world-famous school GOBELINS, which ranked n°2 Anima- tion School worldwide this year.... Kyle Balda, co-director of Minions, Despicable Me, etc
Production of short films in teams: commissioned films as part of a partnership.
Project teams are often mixed and include students from the French-speaking class
2 mandatory weeks in France or abroad leading to the writing of an internship report.