Master of Arts in Character Animation and Animated Filmmaking
This two-year course taught in English is designed to enable students to reach a professional level notably in directing and storytelling in a multicultural environment. In addition to exercises in writing, storyboarding and complex animation (mixed techniques, interacting characters), students participate in an open-themed end of studies film in conditions similar to a professional environment.
- Bachelor in Animation or Animated Filmmaking and/or 3 years of professional experience in the field
- No age limit
- 2D and 3D animation
- Modeling and 3D rendering
- Design and background, color, storyboard or character design
- Proficiency in compositing with After effects
- Animation with TV Paint, Animate, Toon Boom, Maya
- Ability to work in teams
- Solid command of English
- Master of Arts
- "Concepteur et réalisateur de films d’animation" professional diploma (5-years post high school degree, level 7) certified by the French National Ministry of Education in September, 1st 2021 (published by the Official Journal on the 08/04/2021)
- Character designer
- Director 2D or 3D
- Compositing operator
- Background artist
- Storyboard artist
- Layout artist
- €10.500 per year for European citizens
- €15.000 per year for non European citizens.
Scholarships opportunities (through GOBELINS, Odon Vallet and/or CROUS).
Eligible for scholarship
Pre-selection based on demo reel, motivational video and selection based on an oral interview in English.
- Advanced courses in 2D and 3D Character Animation
- Scriptwriting and directing, character definition and characterisation, graphic design, sound design, storyboarding
- Filmmaking: 2D and/or 3D layout, character and background modeling, setup, skinning, rigging, acting, character and special effects animation, rendering, compositing
- Complying with specifications, choice of production pipeline according to technical and artistic choices, assessing and monitoring production planning
- Teaching is centered on teamwork During the course, teams will mix with students from the French Programme in Character Animation and Animated Filmmaking
- Production of a making of, demo reel, graphic portofolio...
- Students benefit from tailored follow-up
- Equipements: HD and 3D equipped movie theatre, professional sound studio, multi-layer animation stands.
- Each student has a dedicated workstation. Led animation tables, Cintiqs
- GOBELINS is a member of RECA (the French Animation School Network) and of IPAX (the US network of schools recognized by Sony Pictures)
- High-level faculty members, professionals coming from well-established studios
- International mindset required to work on multicultural projects and in multicultural contexts (courses and conferences in French and in English)
- Participation in a speed-recruiting event organized during the Annecy festival in June for last year of the course (more than 50 companies usually attend)
- Production, in multicultural groups, of an end-of studies short film
- Written report on a reflective work related to an experimental project
Discover our students' projects
Timeline of selection process
Registration opening date
November 10th 2023
Registration closing date
February 29th 2024
April 23rd, 24th, 25th, and 29th 2024
Start of the course
End of the course